White Sand Volume 1
|White Sand Volume 1>|
by Julius Gopez
|Released||June 28, 2016|
White Sand Volume 1 is the first of three graphic novels set on the Shardworld Taldain. It is an adaptation of one of the novels Brandon wrote prior to being published. The script was adapted by Rik Hoskin, the artwork was done by Julius Gopez, coloring was done by Sophie Campbell, lettering by Marshall Dillon, and the editor was Rich Young.
On the planet of Taldain, the legendary Sand Masters harness arcane powers to manipulate sand in spectacular ways. But when they are slaughtered in a sinister conspiracy, the weakest of their number, Kenton, believes himself to be the only survivor. With enemies closing in on all sides, Kenton forges an unlikely partnership with Khriss -- a mysterious Darksider who hides secrets of her own.
Kenton, a weak but skilled sand master, tries to earn a higher ranking position in the guild of sand masters by running the Mastrell's Path, despite the disapproval of his father, the Lord Mastrell. The day after Kenton proves himself on the Path, the sand masters gather for a ceremony where new rank advancements will be granted. One man, Drile, is demoted for having attempted to sell out himself and a group of others as mercenaries. Just as Kenton is grudgingly granted the highest rank, his father is shot with an arrow, and an army of Kerztian warriors attacks. The sand masters, being surprised and unprepared, are soundly defeated. Just before his death, the Lord Mastrell unleashes a wave of power that leaves Kenton buried beneath the sand.
After waking, Kenton is joined by Khrissalla, Baon, and two Darkside professors who are lost. They are searching for information about Khriss' late fiance and the "sand mages" he sought. On the way to the nearest city, they are attacked by a small group of Kerztian warriors. Kenton's sand mastery suddenly proves to be inaccessible, but Baon drives the warriors away with his gun.
Upon arriving in Kezare, Kenton's powers return with greater strength than ever, and he stands before the Taishin, who plan to disband the Diem of sand masters. He is granted the position of acting Lord Mastrell, and is given two weeks to convince the Taishin otherwise. Kenton returns to the Diem and drives away the rebellious Drile, who Kenton believes was responsible for betraying the sand masters to the Kerztians. Elsewhere, Trackt Ais works to catch a crime lord, Sharezan, amid threats to her family. The Lady Judge meets with Ais and asks her to spy on Kenton. Meanwhile, Khriss inadvertently locates Loaten, an infamous Darksider, in her search for information. He offers little direct help, but sets her on a path to meet with the leaders in the city. Ignorant of the role of the sand masters, and of Kenton's new station, she arrives at the Diem just as Drile returns to do battle with Kenton.
- A weak but skilled sand master whose disapproving father is Lord Mastrell of the Diem
- A Darksider duchess who has traveled to Dayside in search of her late fiance and the secrets of sand mastery
- A Darksider bowman who accompanies Duchess Khrissalla
- A Kerztian Trackt in search of a criminal mastermind
- Kenton's childhood friend
The primary system of magic on Taldain is known as sand mastery. Sand mastery involves the the telekinetic manipulation of white sand, a process that leaves the sand black for a time, at the expense of the user's water supply.
- An excerpt from the first chapter of this graphic novel can be found in Arcanum Unbounded alongside the original prose source material for that section.
- In Chapter 2 when Kenton wakes up after his fight with the sandling there is a boombox in the tent behind him. Brandon has confirmed that this is not canonical as the residents of Taldain had not yet reached that level of technology at the time of the story. Isaac Stewart said that the artist who colored the graphic novel misunderstood the line art and that there was not enough time to change it before the book went to print. He also said that when they put out a second edition of the book this and the other inconsistencies will be fixed.
|White Sand (Taldain)|
Volume 1 · Volume 2 · Volume 3
|Characters||Kenton · Khrissalla · Baon · Ais · Drile · Aarik · Praxton · Jon Acron · Cynder · Nilto · Dirin · Gevalden · Heelis · Delius · Vey · N'Teese · Sharezan|
|Places||Lossand · Kezare · Kerzta · Elis · Dynasty · Lraezare · Kerla|
|Lifeforms||Sandling · Dorim vine · Tonk|
|Groups||Taishin · Diem · DaiKeen|
|Magic||Sand mastery · Sand|
|Mythology and Lore||Autonomy · Ker'Reen Philosophy · Sand Lord|